Monday, December 15, 2014

Sundays are for...

Scrabble and Wes Anderson films!  
Graham cost me 14 points when he wouldn't accept "pez"... Seems unfair.
It was a perfectly cozy Sunday.
Graham left for the store to pick up "survive-the-flu-essentials"... He returned with board games, jujubes, (so. much.) chocolate, arrowroot biscuits and Tylenol.

It was a good effort, don't you think?

After a long game of scrabble, we finally watched The Grand Budapest Hotel.


Ugh - Wes Anderson. His brilliantly creative mind. He never fails to wow me.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was eccentric (duh!), imaginative beyond any realm of comprehension, and perfectly-paced. (No surprise here): He managed to dream up an elaborate world that would be marked by both momentous tragedy and joy, only to be executed by the zaniest of characters! I am certainly not a film critic (nor am I interested in ever becoming one) but in my mind, this film was equally sophisticated (the narration!) and comical. Amidst its quirkiness, it had the nerve to be serious and thoughtful. Just enough spunk. A perfect balance (to me)... :-)

I also can't deny that it wholly rekindled my passion for his films. Once Graham and I wrap up our favourite Christmas movies (Home Alone 1 & 2 are next on our list), we have a pretty special Wes Anderson movie marathon planned for the New Year... ;-)

Before I wrap up, I can't resist sharing my favourite quote from the film:

M. Gustave: 
Rudeness is merely the expression of fear. People fear they won't get what they want. The most dreadful and unattractive person only needs to be loved and they will open up like a flower. 
Happy Monday! ;-)

xoxo,
Kristina 

5 comments :

  1. I've never seen any Wes Anderson films, but the blog world keeps making me think that I should. Perhaps I'll curl up to this during my Christmas break. :)
    (Also that mug is the best!)
    -E

    amie-eo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, you have to! Start with The Royal Tenenbaums :-)

      Thanks for reading!!
      xoxo,
      Kristina

      Delete
  2. You piqued my interest on Grand Budapest. I've heard of it of course but just haven't gotten around to watching it. Perfect flu movie, I suppose!
    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will not be disappointed, Carmen!

      Thanks for reading!!
      xoxo,
      Kristina

      Delete
  3. I've never seen this! But the quote is inspired!

    ReplyDelete